Students were given a platform in which they could choose a Changemaker Project Issue. They were given these topic choices:vGlobal Climate Change, COVID-19, and Social Justice. Once students selected their topic of choice they were grouped in no more than 5 students per group and they were to collaborate on how they wanted to create a service learning project that reflected old and new knowledge that would make an impact to themselves and their community. Students were given a choice to create some type of Video (ie.,WeVideo, Flipgrid), Poster (Canva), and or slide presentation. The students had approximately 8 days of in-class preparation and met with their groups outside of class to create theri final touches. Lastly, we had a “mini” showcase during their Final Exam week, it was graded as a final assessment for 4th quarter.
Teachers: Rhea Butler and Clark Richardson
Students: 9th-grade students at T.C. Williams Minnie Howard Campus, taking the AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) elective
Driving Question: Through service learning, how can you be a changemaker?
Standards and the 5Cs:
These standards are in alignment with AVID 9 and the 5 Cs:
- Develop positive peer interaction skills through establishing group norms before, and reflective discussions following, collaborative activities
- Respond thoughtfully to diverse perspectives, summarize points of agreement and disagreement, and when warranted, justify one’s own views and understanding and make new connections in light of the evidence and reasoning presented
- Focus on drawing connections between ideas, using compare and contrast questions
- Work with a collaborative group to make presentations to the class following various activities
- Use factually reliable evidence to support topic
- Present information, findings and supporting evidence concisely and logically
- Utilize technology to interact and collaborate with others
- Become active in at least one school or community service project/activity
Examples of student projects: